By any measure, 2014 was a remarkable year for us at A Far Cry. It’s impossible to capture the entire year in a list, but we’ll share a few highlights with you.
In 2014, A Far Cry...
- Launched Crier Records, our own in-house record label!
- Received a GRAMMY nomination for Dreams and Prayers, our first Crier Records release!
- Landed on Alex Ross’ list of 10 notable recordings of 2014, for our album Law of Mosaics!
- Began to live stream our Jordan Hall concerts for the first time!
- Welcomed a new Crier (Robyn Bollinger) and our first Executive Director (Graham Wright)!
- Was named one of 10 "Imagination-Grabbing, Trailblazing Artists of 2014" by WQXR!
- Was profiled by Harvard Magazine!
- Grew our extended family with two baby Criers—congrats to Omar and Jason on their new little ones!
We asked the Criers to share some of their individual highlights from 2014...
"Dancing my first pas-de-deux with the wonderful Melanie from Urbanity Dance during terry Riley's 'In C'..."
"My 2014 highlight was having so many Criers travel all the way to Cape Girardeau, MO, to play and party at Liesl's and my wedding!"
"I made my viola debut earlier this fall on the Biber Nightwatchman ;)"
J Cosmos Lee:
“I became curator and director of my own chamber music series, 'Nth Degree' in affiliation with the Cape Symphony, launching the first concert with a recital back in September!
AFC made our Canadian debut in Calgary back in January, then went onto play in Ottawa in July, both to accolades!”
Sarah Darling: "Got to indulge my creative side when eight virtuosic A Far Cry violinists played my arrangement of Biber's magnificent Passacaglia, literally trading sixteenth notes back and forth in a flash!"
“I got to join A Far Cry!!! I also particularly enjoyed our collaboration with Roomful of Teeth.”
“We collaborated with Urbanity twice :) And we did our first all-baroque program.
Alex and I benefited greatly from our new host-family network for out of town Criers and guests.”
“We added some awesome new Board members and did a couple of great projects with Lisa Hicks and Community Action Partners!”
“Traveled to Portland, Oregon for the first time during A Far Cry's Pacific Northwest tour! The tour culminated with an epic meal at Pok Pok with a bunch of Criers. Was introduced to and fell in love with Finnish fiddling music (JPP) thanks to Karl and Liesl!
And a couple of personal milestones: became a permanent U.S. Resident and got engaged!”
And onwards to 2015!
Now that 2015 is nearly upon us, we can't wait to share another year with you. We still have four subscription concerts left in Boston—including Improvisation coming up shockingly soon on January 9th!
We're enormously grateful for the huge number of supporters who helped us in 2014. If you haven't yet made a tax-deductible donation to A Far Cry in 2014, we hope you can take a few minutes to make a contribution now. Without the support of our community, we wouldn't have so many lovely highlights to share with you. Thank you!